Tuesday, August 4, 2009

I can't work during Shark Week



I don't know why, but I am obsessed with shark week. You would think that I would not want to watch it, since we live by water and sharks. It is just so fascinating to watch these huge scary meat munching things of the sea, swimming around lookin to much someones lunch.

Last night it came on right when we were about to turn the TV off and head to bed. I couldn't just turn the TV off knowing that it was on, so I decided to watch it in our bed with our boys. The whole time I am saying "OMG, that thing did not just flip up in the air; trying to eat that fake Sea Lion". It was freaking the boys out, but we couldn't stop watching. We stayed up till 2 am watching this. Poor Ryan, he just rolled over and went to sleep, since he is the only one in the family that has to get up early for a thing called "WORK".

The next morning I turned on the TV (even before I turned on the coffee pot, so you know this is serious) and they were talking about "How to lower your risk of getting bite by a shark"
I had to watch this since we live by water and I fear this every time we go to the beach.

They were saying that there are 3 things you can do to prevent being a target.

1. Never swim by the sand bar because that is where bull sharks love to feed.
2. Never swim with your dog in the water, because the dog paddle attracts them. I guess it looks like something is in distress.
3. Don't wear jewelry while swimming. It reflecks in the water and looks like fish.

I was shocked to find this out! Because I do all of these things.

1. We always swim with the kids to the sand bar because we can stand up and that is where we catch the sand dollars.
2. We don't have a dog to swim with, but I only seem to know how to swim like one. Is there another way of swimming? I thought doggy paddle was the only cool way to swim!
3. I never think to take off my jewelry when hitting the beach. I mean I don't wear a lot, but I do have a belly ring to thin the look of my belly and a toe ring cause I have worn it since I was 1o.

So I guess by my habits I am a perfect target for shark lunch. I might stay out of the water for a bit.

Night

1 comment:

  1. You are absolutely insane to watch that show when you live so close the ocean. It scares me and I am not even anywhere near water! However, your description does make me want to check it out tonight!

    ReplyDelete