Monday, August 24, 2009

My Baby Is In School








So this morning was the BIG DAY! Jordan's first day of Preschool.

We have been preparing him for awhile now, so it wouldn't be a huge shocker for him when the day finally came. I have to say that he did very well. We were really worried about the whole Going To Bed On Time thing, since this child will stay up till 2am if you let him. We tried to all get on a better schedule of getting to bed earlier, so we could get up A LOT earlier, but it ended up not ever happening UNTIL the night before he started school. Again, I know we are such slacker parents. I don't like getting up early. Ryan and I LOVE our sleep. Before we had kids; our friends would tell us that our kids will probably sleep a lot because that is all we would do when we were not working. I remember in high school we were all asked to write down a little about us and one of the questions were - What are some of your favorite hobbies? - All I wrote was SLEEP.

But, I digress.

So we got up at 7am and got Jordan dressed right away. He wanted a Toaster Strudel for breakfast; which I got him, but our toaster broke so it was a hot & soft Toaster Strudel. YUM! He wanted to watch Noggin which had Blues Clues on and I wondered if that comes on everyday at that time, because I am gonna get sick of JOE really quick. Daddy ended up doing his hair, so it matched with his. Jordan had his Batman backpack on and ready to go, but guess who was holding up this excited 4.5 year old? His younger brother who was still sleeping. I hate to wake that child up, because he is so grumpy in the morning. He growls and moans like you have been poking him with a stick for an hour and saying "ha ha, ha ha, ha ha". Anyway, we finally got him up, dressed and fed and out the door.

We arrived at his school and were told TODAY that since he has a late birthday and because they are Montessori they don't follow by the rest of the county rules on age, so they put him in K-1 grade; not Preschool. I still don't know what I think about this, because the schedule is completely different then what we planned on and what I told Jordan he would be doing. No yoga or a second language. I am going to let it sink in more and give you my opinion in a few days.

We went into the new area that I had never seen before. That kind of upset me, because now he has a different teacher, different classroom, even different bathroom. This was a shock to me because it was out of my control. I couldn't all of a sudden say - Hey, let me check your bathroom to make sure you have soap, or let me see the teachers credentials, so I can assure myself she is not a pedophile or let me see the schedule to make sure it was a good fit for my child. And then with all that info, I get to choose if I want him to go here. NOT surprise, you get stuck with this. So at the moment, I feel a little confused and uneasy about the whole thing. I hope I will get use to it and I will love it tomorrow or the next.

Jordan did very well. After we put his stuff away in his cubby and we showed him his workstation, he told us that it was okay for us to go. That was really hard for me and I had to refrain from bawling right there. My little guy looks much older to me in school rather than at home. What was surprising, was that even though they put him with the K-1st graders; he still seemed a little bigger than them.

When we picked him up and were driving home, Ryan and I asked him if he met any new friends and he says "Yeah, I have like 16 friends". p.s. there is only 8 total in his class:)

So this is Part One. Sorry so long. Will keep you posted tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. What a little cutie, I bet it is so hard to watch your baby go to school and be all grown up! I hope you like the new schedule soon!

    ReplyDelete